眼看就要DUE了，老大在Rice or Berkeley之间挣扎着。在参观RICE的时候，他非常EXCITING，几乎肯定的说要把DEPOSIT放到RICE。可回到加州之后，他又有些倾向Berkeley了。
HI， I’m a prospective Rice student who hasn’t yet submitted his SIR and is wavering between Berkeley and Rice. I received your email from a mutual friend, who referred me to you as I plan on studying some form of economics/managerial studies at either school and was hoping you could provide some insight into the courses there. More specifically:
1. How are the quality of the courses there? I know that Berkeley’s economics department is more prestigious and renowned around the U.S. but would you say the quality of teaching at Rice is top notch? Any courses you would recommend/warn of etc.
2. How are research opportunities at Rice? I would like to go to grad school after undergrad and want to look into research, internships and the like to get a head start on building my resume. Is it easy to find opportunities to work with professors, competitiveness, accessibility etc.
3. Is it easy to get a job outside of Texas after Rice? I know that Rice is heralded as the Southern Ivy and is very well respected in Texas, but on the west coast for example very few of my peers know of it. In your opinion would I be better off going to Rice or Berkeley assuming I’d like to work for a few years on the East coast after graduating?
4. Quality of life? How is the social scene as in do people date/party hard/nerd it up/go to clubs and bars etc. I’d really like to get a holistic college experience where I can have fun and gain a valuable education. How is Rice in terms of this?
If you have any other tips or comments feel free to share! I have to SIR to one of these two colleges by Friday so any feedback is much appreciated! Thank you!
glad to help man.
1) the quality of the courses range from poor to mediocre. there’s a few good classes but mostly I haven’t been super impressed with any of my classes.
2) Research opportunities are super minimal. I don’t know anyone doing economics or business research. the opportunities usually go to grad students.
3) most people I know are working in texas. that said, it can be done, but the network is mostly Houston.
4) people at rice seem to like the quality of life. I’d say its 50% party 50% nerdy in terms of demographics. the girls are okay.
to be honest, I’m largely going to rice because of a full scholarship I received. I’m having a good time here but the econ department is not very strong. that’s the honest truth.
估计这结果老大也没想到：“well not exactly what i hoped to hear, but thanks for being honest; it’ll help me in my college decision process.” 那边的回应：“ya sorry about that. Rice is a great school but our econ department is abysmal.”
老大说，他想学经济，总体来讲，BERKELEY的BUSINESS SCHOOL 要强些，NETWORK要广些，他要选BERKELEY，他听了很多关于BERKELEY的负面消息，但是他已经做好准备，Take the all challenger in Berkeley。。。。。。。