Political and Civil Engagement Internship
Organized by the Don Sun Campaign Committee
Length: August to mid-November 2014 Number of Positions: 15
Just what goes into the running of a city? For a well-run place like Cupertino City, it can be easy to take for granted all the city operations and dynamics that happen behind the scenes. However, every day there are many departments, organizations and processes that contribute to the functioning of the city. The Political and Civil Engagement Internship is a means for students to be acquainted with and involved in various aspects of the city system.
This internship will have three main components: engaging in the political field (working as part of a campaign team), monthly civic fieldtrips (such as attending a public hearing), and relevant skills development workshops (like public speaking training). The first component will be backed by regular trainings while the second component will be supported through pre/post group meetings and exercises (e.g. research assignments, observation essays), and the third component will build useful skills that are utilized in political/civil positions.
No prior experience is necessary, the main requirement is that the candidate can guarantee a steady commitment to the required duties of this position for the duration of the internship:
• Conduct minimum of 3 hours per week with the campaign team (will be weekly regular time although participant can also arrange an alternative time if needed)
• Be involved in various initiatives (such as the collecting signatures for the building of a Steve Jobs statue)
• Attend group meetings that will take place prior and after each civic fieldtrip (alternative exercise arrangements will be made if a participant cannot attend a particular meeting)
• Complete the civic fieldtrip assignments
• Participate in the skill-building workshops
While there is a lot of real-world experience and useful skill-sets to be gained from this internship, there are also some other benefits:
• Certification upon completing the internship
• Recommendation letters from the head of the campaign committee, Don Sun
• And the award of a flight over Cupertino City on a private jet to the participant who logs the most canvassing / phone banking hours (see photo)!
To apply, please email email@example.com for the application form or call 408-202-1080（Don Sun） for more information. Selected candidates will be contacted to enter the interview round (starts Saturday 16th August).