This Febuary Lynbrook’s Science Bowl Team A competed at the 2015 SLAC Regional Competition and beat out The Harker School to earn 1st place and a trip to Washington DC for the 2015 National Science Bowl Competition!
Congratulations to: Pranav Lalgudi, Nithin Buduma (captain), Oliver Dong (and Shamrock the Horse 😛 ) and Jeffrey Chang, Richard Liu for their amazing performance!
Science Bowl helps students further their interests in science, as well as provide an intellectually stimulating atmosphere to interact productively with other students and communicate ideas effectively. Additionally, Science Bowl encourages students to excel in science and mathematics and pursue careers in those fields.
Program Description: This course aims to prepare students for the Science Bowl competition. It contains both lecture and practice round components. Students will be taught Life Science, Physical Science, Earth Science, Energy, Mathematics, and General Science. The coach will work heavily on reinforcing science knowledge in the listed categories as well as improving buzzing strategies and time management necessary for science bowl.
Time: 4/5 to 5/23, Sunday 1:30 to 3:30pm.
Age Limit: Preferably 5th – 8th graders
Fee: $320 (8 sessions. $40/session). Two hours per session.
Oliver Dong is a senior at Lynbrook High School. His achievements in the STEM fields include the following:
- Lynbrook Science Club President (12)
- Global Philanthropy Leadership Program’s Sustainable Environmental Engineering group leader (12)Lynbrook Science Olympiad team member (10-11)
- Lynbrook High School Science Bowl team member (9-11)
- Lynbrook High School Science Bowl team captain (10)
- Mathcounts assistant instructor at Miller Middle School (10)
- Physics Olympiad semifinalist (10-11)
- TEAMS (Tests of Engineering Aptitude in Math and Science) 2nd Best in State team member (11)
- TEAMS National Competition Finalist (11)
- TEAMS Regional Winner (10)
- AIME qualifier (11)
Pranav Lalgudi is a sophomore at Lynbrook High School. Some of his achievements include:
- Captain of Miller Middle School Science Bowl team (8)
- Lynbrook High School Science Bowl team member (9)
- Miller Middle School Science Fair and MathCounts Instructor (9)
- Math Olympiad Teacher at Cupertino Community Center (7-9)
- Synopsys Science Fair Awards and Outreach N+1 Finalist for Biochemistry/Microbiology research (9)
- UC Berkeley BioEngineering Best Research Award for Molecular Biology research (9)
- National Exploravision Honorable Mention Award for cancer biology research (9)
- Research at University of Iowa Biochemistry Department (9-10)
- 2014 USAJMO qualifier (9)
- Lynbrook Neuroscience Club Secretary (9)