INTENSIVE WINTER READING CLASS
To strengthen skills in reading comprehension on two fronts:
1) the ability to quickly glean facts through speed-reading;
2) the ability to think critically and in depth about written text.
The difficulty level of the materials presented is intended for high-achieving students in 8th-10th grade. Younger students with demonstrable ability are also welcome.
We will read essays and short stories from a variety of sources, including but not limited to The New Yorker, TIME Magazine, and The Atlantic.
Time：9:30 to 12:30 pm ,12/28-30
Address：1340 S De Anza Blvd., #204 ,San Jose , CA 95129
Tuition：$180.00 (one Session),$350 (two Sessions)
The classes will have 3 main sections.
- Students will read short stories to work on reading comprehension, participate in a group discussion in which each student will present responses, and then the class will engage in a deeper discussion of the meaning and the ideas presented in the text.
- This section of the class is designed to improve critical skills necessary for the ACT reading section. We will also review test-taking strategies.
- Finally, we will read poetry to hone analytical skills and then discuss the material as a class
- Recent college graduate from USC on academic scholarship
- Dean’s List Honor and Presidential Scholarship at USC
- Majored in literature
- National Merit Finalist
- Three years teaching experience
- Specializes in Reading Comprehension